Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why Aren’t You a Rocket Scientist?

Remember your dream of becoming an astronaut, entertainer, pro basketball player, archaeologist…(fill in the blank)?  What became of the time when those things were within our reach?  Did we get old, fat, lazy, kicked to the curb too many times?  Did “reality” finally set in and we realized we weren’t tall enough, talented enough, smart enough…?  Did too many people say, “Really?  You?”  When did we lose our passion for pursuing our dreams?  Were we unable to do the work or take the needed risks to attain them?  Couldn’t they at least have changed a little bit?  Maybe you’re not tall enough for basketball, but what about baseball?  I used to ponder the sea of faces in my classroom and wonder what percentage would actually accomplish what they believed they could.  If I spend 40 of my waking hours working, I have to face the question at some point about whether I am really doing what I want to do.  For some reason, I can’t grasp the concept that’s becoming more evident; spending the majority of my life doing something that doesn’t seem like the right fit for me.  If I’m one of the minority who is actually still chasing my dream, does that make me naive?  Am I immature, unrealistic, and too optimistic for my own good?  My stats show that some of you are actually reading this blog (surprise and thanks!), but I’d really like to hear comments, especially on this one.  What, if anything, are you doing to pursue your dreams?  Do you still have them?  What are your obstacles?   If you’re in a career that’s making you miserable, have you lost hope?  Is there something you can do to turn it around or are you happy working the mundane 8-5, punching in and out, waiting for your shift to be over until you are retired or older?  Are you leaving a legacy for your children that says, “Mom/dad worked hard, but is now doing exactly what she/he wants to do”?  While my dreams have remained the same for some time, I’m finally putting in the work and taking the risks that I’m hoping will lead to the accomplishments I’m striving for.  This isn’t to say that I’m unhappy, but I believe that, if I try, I could be doing exactly what I want to do.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment