Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fewer teachers, larger classes - are lobotomies still legal?

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2011/jan/18/luna-outlines-plans-larger-class-sizes-fewer-teachers/

My first year teaching, I remember assessing the funnel-shaped classroom I'd have to squeeze 36 kids into, wondering how we would still be able to walk through the room.  I had eight kids on IEPs and no experience other than student teaching.  I remember taking a deep breath and telling myself that with a lot of prayer and determination, I could be certain that my students would rise to my level of expectation for them as I'd always been taught in school.  I wondered what it would be like to have a "normal" class size and whether the kids would get the education they deserved if I did.  Even as a rookie, I knew that while I'd do the best I could, it was an injustice to our children to corral them like cattle.  If we really consider the time and attention each student needs to get even a fair education, we wouldn't flippantly refer to the addition of "one or two more students" as an insignificant byproduct of a changing economy. 

Speaking of the changing economy, don't even get me started on the loss of jobs...

No comments:

Post a Comment